...and other oddities of the great outback

...and other oddities of the great outback
one of the smaller frogs in my toilet...

Saturday, May 1, 2010

May 1, 2010
My internet does not appear to be working this morning. After three mornings of internet, I was starting to take it for granted. It’s connected, with a fair to middling signal, but msn won’t sign in, and every page I try to go to online says Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. Goddamnit.

I think I squished a baby lizard today while making breakfast. I try to keep the light off as much as possible, because the bugs swarm whenever they see light, and when I turned it on, there was a little lizard, separated from its tail, and looking decidedly flat. It had disappeared when I came into the kitchen again, and while I would like to believe that it made a miraculous recovery I think someone may have moved it while I wasn’t looking.

Two girls with me in camp today: Sarah hurt her ankle a few days ago, and Bree has some sort of stomach bug. Jet would say (and has) that they need to take a teaspoon of cement and harden up a bit.

It was just me, Jet, and Ding in camp last night (Friday night). I cooked them up some leftovers, and then we all went to bed. I don’t understand how all the others can go into town and party while knowing that they have a 5:00 am start time the next morning.

You know, when I first came to Australia it was the wet season, and it used to sometimes make me crazy the way Jet seemed to barely be working at all. I understand a bit better now. We work really long days now and I’ve been told we may have a day off in another month or so. I can’t really complain, though: the pay is good, I enjoy my job, and when I get up in the morning I can see the southern cross shining in the sky.

Well, if the internet isn’t going to work I may as well go back to sleep for another hour or so. (It’s 6:30 am right now).

Jet’s days, meanwhile are slightly different than mine… He came home last night with the tale of cutting cancerous testicles off of a calf that were bigger than tennis balls.

I haven't shown you any pictures of my house, have I? Well, here it is:

2 comments:

  1. "They need to take a teaspoon of cement and harden up a bit." This is an excellent expression. I may claim it as my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol I thought you would like it!

    ReplyDelete