...and other oddities of the great outback

...and other oddities of the great outback
one of the smaller frogs in my toilet...

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Jet and I spent today tailing his weaners back 'home' in Pentland, which is to say, we sat on our horses in the winter sun and talked about life, the universe and everything while we watched the yearling calves munch away on fresh green grass.

I suppose that should tell you that quite a lot has happened since my last post. ...I'll start where my last post left off, though.

Jet and I spent our week off lounging around. We went into Normanton a few times, where I got my photo taken with a rather badly done representation of the (regionally) famous Krys the Savannah King:



Krys, who was 8.63 metres long (more than 28 feet), was shot by Krystina Pawlowski in 1957.

On our last day off, Jet shod my horse Vincent, and taught our friend 'Ding' how to shoe. When they had finished, I rode him bareback back to the yards. Or rather, I rode him a ways and then Jet pulled up beside me in the pickup and told me that Vincent could find his way the rest of the way on his own. I slid off Vincent's back and watched him trot off.

When we got back to camp, Lee asked us if we wanted to go fishing. We piled back in the truck again; the inside was full, so Jet and I sat in the back, with the sun beating down on us and the wind whipping my hair around. Jet put together a line for me, but he quickly clued in that I was less than enthused with the whole fishing thing. While Jet fished, I sat and took pictures of freshwater crocodiles sticking their eyes above the water.

The only fish caught was a 'smiley fish,' which we all took pictures with. Jet said he was scared I was going to strangle the poor beast, I gripped its neck so hard. But really, can you blame me?



Anyhow, as much as I enjoyed living the back of a truck in the middle of nowhere, Jet and I have decided to look for something a bit more settled -- possibly even with a house involved. We decided to head back home to help Jet's dad with some work, and to apply for some new jobs (which is much more easily done with internet and a phone).

It is very nice to be home. As we drove up the lane, we could see Jet's dad on his big horse Hagar, amongst the cattle. He rode up to the fence and shook hands with Jet, and gave me a nod and a 'Kathleen,' then we headed up to the house for tea. Jet and his dad sat down and talked cattle and horses, while I curled up and took a much needed nap.

We brand the weaners, tomorrow.

I'm excited for the future... Onward to the next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment