...and other oddities of the great outback

...and other oddities of the great outback
one of the smaller frogs in my toilet...

Monday, April 26, 2010


April 20, 2010

Last week, I was with Jet and his dad mustering their cattle at Ballater. Anyhow, the lady of the house, whose name I cannot remember, though her husband’s name was Alastair, told us a ‘funny’ story about a friend’s new hired couple. The girl apparently was dumb as a post. One day, when everyone was down at the stockyards, she was sent back to the house to fetch a water bottle. The girl took the owner’s four wheel drive back to the house, and when she returned, she had an empty water bottle and a flat tire. Everyone laughed at the story, including me, but my laugh was fake: while I would probably know to bring water back in the water bottle, I can see myself driving on a flat tire and wondering why it was steering funny. Plus, what would I do if I did notice it had a broken tire? I know driving on one spoils the rim, but what would my option be? If I just walked back, would they laugh at me?

…There are a lot of things in the outback that I don’t know about.

Today, my problem is meat. I have steak out, but I only know how to cook it on the barbecue, and I already did that for breakfast today. Was going to maybe make a casserole, but I am very unclear as to how one make such a thing, and the cookbooks seem to just assume I know these basics, as all the recipes they offer me, even in the bush cooking one Jet‘s mom gave me, call for loads of ingredients I don’t have.

And now, a picture of my laundry room...

No comments:

Post a Comment